Thursday, January 15, 2015

5 weeks post closing

5 weeks in already. Just seems crazy. So here's a quick rundown of how things are going. 

We still absolutely love our house. But as with anything, nothing is ever perfect. Instead of gushing about the things we love, I think most people want to also hear the negatives or cons so that if you are currently building, you know what to look for. Or if you already built, you know you aren't alone. Ha. 

This really is a large house, and it has taken me awhile to really look over every inch and just notice all the details and workmanship. I still feel the weak spot is the drywall work. I expected some nail pops, and we already got them. But there were some gouges in walls and a corner bead in the dining room is starting to look bad. We're calm people and know this is basically cosmetic. We also are getting some settlement cracks where wall corners meet the ceiling in a few spots. We will be meticulous and thorough when then come in for the 10 Month. There won't be one blemish or issue we don't mark. 

Our windows feel a bit "leaky" when it's very windy out. The window rep came out, put some foam pieces in and we'll see if it made it better. 

The paint quality just plain sucks. Glad we already started painting ourselves. I know we'll have to repaint areas after the 10 month, but I'm ok with it. 

The front bedroom our daughter is in is about 4 degrees cooler at night than the other rooms. We had the hvac contractor out once to balance the system, we will be calling again. 

The floors all generally squeak, but I'll give it time to settle and dry out and will get any lingering issues resolved during the 10 month. 

Now the big question most people have, "any regrets or wish you picked different upgrades or options?". I can say with 100% certainty and happiness, NO. We really believed we nailed the perfect options for us. 

We are so happy we kept all cabinet colors, tile choices, carpeting and flooring uniform through the house. We feel it makes everything feel cohesive. We personally don't like every bathroom having different tile and the kitchen cabinets to be different colors from the bathrooms. But that's just us. We very much went into this house with a clear design vision and it's all coming together. 

We're glad we sprung for the stone fireplace. In our subdivision they have now increased it an extra $1000. Glad we dodged that bullet. 

Couldn't live without the 3 car garage, and it's well on its way to being an organized tool and work area I've always needed. 

We are so happy we did the kitchen and bath granite with an outside company, and did the backsplash after close. Ryan was simply overpriced and their options slim. 

We are probably 75% done with unpacking and decorating. All furniture is bought and in place. Some drapes still need to be hung, need to finish painting upstairs, but no rush. My surround sound that I'll be installing should come this week. Just have to install the under cabinet lights in the kitchen. From there we're basically done other than hanging pictures and smaller decorating. 

All in all, I couldn't have done this without my amazing wife, and I'm actually shocked we're so settled after only 5 weeks. 

6 comments:

  1. Congrats!! Glad things are going pretty smooth , for the most part. I saw your part regarding the paint & I've read others complaining about it. I read you started to paint. We were told if we paint then they can't do fixes. What has been your experience?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sterling!

      In our community our PM said we could paint. They will fix issues but will NOT repaint our color. So in our orientation he advised us to make sure we have enough remaining to do our own touch up. If it's the standard color Ryan uses they will touch it up for you.

      Delete
    2. Even if they said they would touch up using our paint, I would decline. I would prefer to do it myself and know it will look good.

      Delete
  2. Happy to hear you guys are good with your choices from RH, it's something I have struggled with. Btw, the kitchen on an earlier post is just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chrissie!

      What do you think you missed on? The big thing in this subdivision I'd people who didn't get morning rooms or 3 car garages. When we came in to sign we were going to do granite and no 3 car. Boy am I glad we changed that. Jim's tools barely fit in the 3 car...

      How's tge house coming?

      Delete